Yuuka is the grappler archtype of Touhou RP: Gensokyo Reloaded, which seems a bit out of place for a series focuses around bullet hell shooters. Yuuka is an extremely durable character and an extremely frightening force up close, with some of the highest damage dealing Specials and Spellcards in the game. For a grappler she actually has decent mobility, which both helps and hinders her at times. Although she has a tough match-up against some of the more projectile-oriented characters, the damage output she's capable of dealing more than makes up for this. It may take time to learn how to take advantage of Yuuka's setups, but the effort can be well worth it.
- Highest Life value in the game (1200)
- One of the few characters to possess an air grab
- High damaging attacks and Command Grabs
- Has armored attacks that allow her to absorb hits uninterrupted
- Extremely dangerous up close
- Has several armored and anti-projectile attacks
- Has decent mobility for a grappler
- Has decent mobility for a grappler
- Not very flexible in the combo department
- Needs to be up close to deal any meaningful damage
- Cannot chain normals into normals
- Has a good number of bad matchups against the rest of the cast
- Struggles against projectile-heavy characters such as Patchouli, Alice and Eirin
- Has a high learning curve
Getting the most damage out of Yuuka's tools will require knowing how to set up for her command grabs, since these can't be comboed into like most attacks can. As a tradeoff, this means Yuuka's damage proration will be reset in between the setup and the command grab, netting a higher total damage. Yuuka has several ways to accomplish this, the most straightforward being Thorny Rose. This usually leaves Yuuka at just the right distance to pull off one of her command grabs right away.
Due to the short distance Yuuka travels from her backdash, she can use this to her advance to create some interesting setups. Immediately cancelling the dash into her air followed by a crouching / upon landing creates a high-low mixup with very little time for the opponent to react. This is most effective against a cornered opponent and allows Yuuka to react accordingly if the opponent does any of the following:
- Opponent fails to block both hits correctly (air -> crouch ): continue the combo into Thorny Rose and, if Yuuka has the power to do so, "Beauty of Nature" and Flytrap.
- Opponent fails to block both hits correctly (air -> crouch ): Follow up with Creeping Thyme as they wake up.
- Opponent successfully blocks both hits, remains grounded: Easy opportunity for Soil Tilling, "Reflowering of Gensokyo", or "Original Master Spark".
- Opponent successfully blocks, goes airborne: Flytrap or "Twin Spark".
Very few characters have the proper tools necessary to avoid the above scenarios, such as Yukari's wall teleport or Sakuya's Vanishing Everything. Byakuren's Durga's Soul and "Brilliance of Mahavairocana" counters can also directly punish Yuuka's mix-up attempt, so long as she doesn't eat a command grab instead.
Vs. Alice Margatroid
Alice's spinner dolls can easily keep Yuuka at bay, negating the armor on Yuuka's attacks. Unlike Eirin, Alice possesses a potent reversal in the form of Thousand Spear Dolls, which can handle Yuuka when she's up close. Even without her projectiles, Alice has plenty of ranged normals at her disposal to prevent Yuuka from approaching.
Vs. Byakuren Hijiri
Vs. Eirin Yagokoro
Yuuka typically has great difficulty getting close to Eirin to deal any meaningful damage, as her armored attacks are generally useless against Eirin's vast array of multi-projectile attacks. Her safest bet in this case is Thorny Rose, but even with that, Eirin can still easily punish Yuuka from a distance. While Eirin has an easy time keeping Yuuka away from her, it's pretty much game over once she does manage to get within range.
Vs. Flandre Scarlet
Flandre's heavy rushdown gameplay requires her to stay close to her opponent. While normally a good thing for Flan, this is exactly what Yuuka players want. Flandre's high mobility and pressure might be able to overwhelm Yuuka, but Flandre's glass cannon nature comes back to haunt her; while poor Flan needs to pull off several combos just to down Yuuka, a single combo or command grab from Yuuka can easily shave off more than half of Flandre's health. Just be sure to watch out for Flan's Last Words and the match belongs to Yuuka.
Vs. Hong Meiling
Vs. Kanako Yasaka
Vs. Koishi Komeiji
Vs. Komachi Onozuka
Vs. Lie Meiling
Vs. Marisa Kirisame
Vs. Patchouli Knowledge
Patchouli is perhaps Yuuka's worst matchup in the game. Autumn Blade easily cancels out Yuuka's armored moves, while keeping Yuuka at bay with her multitude of projectiles. To make matters worse, Spring Wind can essentially cancel out Yuuka's already bad mobility, preventing Yuuka from even getting near Patchouli in the first place.