In M.U.G.E.N, a Prefixed Character is an edit of a character that has a prefix attached to it, coupled with edits that result in a movelist that contains attacks that make it significantly more powerful than the character's original incarnation. Usually, the character also gains traits such as increased speed, increased power limit and even regeneration and cloning.
They often possess auras, and some of them have very large amounts of visual effects, making their attacks visually impressive.
These characters are mostly, by definition, cheap characters. The most powerful of them usually insta-kill any regular character that they meet, and are only meant to meet characters of the same level of cheapness.
Occassionally, these characters may be suffixed instead, such as Gustab M. Type-F, or even have a new name, but the premise remains the same.
Origin of Prefixed Characters
Arguably, the big inspiration for prefixed characters came from Orochi Iori and Orochi Leona, the midbosses of King of Fighters '97. These characters are much more powerful forms of Iori Yagami and Leona Heidern respectively, being fast and powerful characters who attack and move twice as fast as their regular counterparts while dealing more damage.
The backstory claims that the servants of Orochi, Chris, Yashiro and Shermie, had activated the Orochi blood in their veins, resulting in them going into a powerful, berserk state known as "Riot of the Blood". As such, M.U.G.E.N creators decided to use this concept of an evil, more powerful version of a character as a theme for their edit characters. This has resulted in the creation of numerous "Orochi" prefixed characters.
- Orochi (from Orochi Iori, Orochi Leona and the Orochi New Faces Team of King of Fighters '97)
- God (from God Rugal)
- Omega (from Omega Rugal, King of Fighters '95, '98 and 2002)
- Evil (from Evil Ryu, Evil Ken, Evil Dan and Evil Homer)
- Shin (from Shin Akuma, Street Fighter series)
- Neo (from Neo Dio and Neo Geegus, World Heroes series)
- SSJ (from the Dragonball Z series)
Official Prefixed Characters
- Evil Ryu, an actual character in the street fighter series, but has been made many times.
- Orochi Iori and Orochi Leona
- Orochi Chris (aka Chris of the Flames of Destiny), Orochi Shermie (aka Shermie of the Violent Lightning) and Orochi Yashiro (aka Yashiro of the Parched Earth)
- Omega Rugal
- Nightmare Geese
- Shin Akuma
- Evil Ash (aka Ash Crazed by the Spiral of Blood)
- Violent Ken
Examples of Prefixed Characters
- God Orochi, an Orochi edit by Ahuron that uses powerful, cheap projectile attacks and teleports rapidly.
- Neo-Reaper Isabeau SSJ9, an edit of Isabeau (herself a Kula edit) with attacks that flood the screen with fire.
- Rare Akuma, an Akuma edit by PotS who spams multi-hit projectiles and is himself immune to all projectile attacks.
- Legend Gold-Metal Orochi, an example of the cheapest of the cheap.
- The Nightmare SSJ3, an overpowered edit of Broly in his Legendary Super Saiyan form from Dragon Ball Z, who has a lot of extremely powerful attacks and some Hypers that lead to a OHKO.
- ALSIEL, a series of related God Orochi edits, notorious for having full-screen Hypers which are OHKOs, usually black-colored effects, an overall dark-gray to black color palette and being nearly unkillable unless an even cheaper character is faced. Although the names are not prefixed in nature, they are mostly recognized from being names which are at times badly translated from Japanese or other languages. Among the Alsiel related edits are EXERION, Devils Eye, The Holy Darkness, Mithra, and EXIST.